[squid-users] Re: DNS & Squid tree with parent - child

From: anita <anita.sivakumar_at_wipro.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 05:47:24 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Amos,

I intend to use Squid for a satellite based communication network.
A child squid on one end will talk to the parent squid on the other end.

My understanding was that for every http request that does not have IP but
names instead, the child squid will do a dns lookup if it is a miss in its
cache before sending it to the parent. As the dns lookup will be expensive,
and will cause considerable delay (plus inherent delay due to satellite
networks), I had planned to accumulate some of the DNS look ups from the
parent over time and push it over to the child in the background. This way
the child squid will not have to do a dns lookup but it will be present in
its ipcache itself.

But when I tried it out in a small setup, it looked to me that the child
squid does not seem to do any lookups for the requested URL (it does only
for the PARENT) if the object is not found in its cache. Instead it simply
forwards it to the parent and the parent squid does the look up.
Can you please confirm on this if my understanding is correct? Thanks.