[squid-users] DNS & Squid tree with parent - child

From: anita <anita.sivakumar_at_wipro.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 02:59:45 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

I am using squid 3.1.16 version.
I am looking into extending the DNS feature to suit my application.
I have a query here regarding the basic DNS feature in Squid.

I am using internal dns client & localdomain as my dns server.

My Setup:
1 Child squid (sitting in machine 1) -> 1 Parent Squid (sitting in machine
2) -> Apache Server (sitting in machine 2)

There are no siblings.
I am running a browser client, wget in this case, to fetch a URL that is not
present in both child & parent cache.

In this case:
1. Does the Child Squid do any dns lookup of the link requested by wget
before sending it to the parent squid when it is a MISS? Or is it done only
by the parent when the child declares it as a miss?

I have narrowed it down to look at ipcache.cc & dns_internal.cc for these
functionalities. Please let me know if I need to look into any other files.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Anita