Re: [squid-users] question about setting TOS for specific media types

From: Brian R. Landy <brian_at_landy.cx>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 00:11:57 -0400

On 4/24/12 4:52 PM, Andrew Beverley wrote:
>>> Can you post the relevant parts of squid.conf please?
>> Sure, this is what I’m using:
>>
>> acl d_neulion url_regex -i neulion[.](com|net).*[.]ts$
>> clientside_tos 0x46 d_neulion
> I'm afraid that I don't have a Squid installation handy to try this on.
> Can you try a much simpler regex (or another rule) to see if you get any
> success with that?
>
> Also, can you try with value 0xFF? Some bits cannot be set on the TOS (I
> forget which) so that will ensure that you are not trying to set those
> bits.
>
> Finally, maybe you can try the netfilter "mark" parameter, and see if
> that works with the same configuration.
>
> Andy

Well, I was not using the correct field. I hadn't paid close enough
attention, I should have selected 0xb8. So I am certain that is the
correct value to use for DiffServ's EF. In any event 3.0STABLE26 set
the packet properly whether I picked 0x46 or 0xb8, and with 3.2.0.17
using a packet sniffer I only see the TOS at 0x0. So it isn't setting
anything.

I had also tried using something simple, like "clientside_tos 0xb8 all"
(which under 3.0 definitely tagged all traffic) and it did nothing under
3.2.0.17.

Sorry, I 'm not familiar with netfilter and what the proper hex value
would be.

Thanks,
Brian