Re: [squid-users] question about setting TOS for specific media types

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 20:59:55 +0100

On Wed, 2012-04-25 at 00:11 -0400, Brian R. Landy wrote:
> Well, I was not using the correct field.

But it's still not working?

> I had also tried using something simple, like "clientside_tos 0xb8 all"
> (which under 3.0 definitely tagged all traffic) and it did nothing under
> 3.2.0.17.

I assume that you're definitely checking packets from squid to the
*client* that made the original file request?

> Sorry, I 'm not familiar with netfilter and what the proper hex value
> would be.

Any value will work, and it's easy to see if a packet's been marked just
by using a -j LOG rule. As an aside, depending on what you are trying to
do, netfilter marks are a much more flexible solution.

Anyway, to further debug this, can you please wind the debug level up to
3 or greater. If setting the TOS is failing then you will see something
like:

Ip::Qos::setSockTos: setsockopt(IP_TOS) on ...

If you don't see that, then search for the string
"tos" (case-insensitive) in the logs and see if you can see any other
TOS related messages.

Failing any of that, I'll write a patch in order to debug further.

Andy