Re: [squid-users] how the big guys are doing it - Caching dynamic content with squid

From: Marcus Kool <marcus.kool_at_urlfilterdb.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:16:40 -0300

I don't know how others (a.k.a. the "big guys") are doing it,
but I have a suggestion:

YouTube and others sometimes change the way they redirect
a browser to different stream servers and use
different URLs for the same video, so the solution should
be configurable with a configuration file saying
how to map/match URLs to the same content.
So when a video provider changes its tricks, a user
only needs to update a config file.

Make a solution with one component: your software.
So do not make anything that relies in redirection to nginx
or others since it makes the solution more complex.

Youtube and others make videos uncacheable with
object properties saying "do-not-cache-me" and/or
using different URLs for the same video.
Simply replacing the "do-not-cache-me" (i.e.
replace the header "Cache-Control: xxx") can be
an easy solution.

The solution can be implemented with an ICAP daemon.
An ICAP daemon can do all the things that I mentioned
and is very powerful so it most likely can also provide
solutions for future tricks that YouTube and others
will use.

Marcus