Re: [squid-users] Re: anyone knows some info about youtube "range" parameter?

From: Ghassan Gharabli <sounarose_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2012 01:12:39 +0300

AS I understand that nginx removes Range header as well as several other headers
before passing request to upstream to make sure full response will be
cached and other requests for the same uri will be served correctly.

Squid at least in versions 2.7 and up, refuses to cache 206 Partial
Content responses by default. It is possible to use a combination of
the range_offset_limit and quick_abort_min to force Squid to cache the
request, but Squid will still strip off the Range header and try to
request the entire object but It is still not a good solution.

Do you know anything about VARNISH which has experimental support for
range requests as you can enable it via the “http_range” runtime
parameter.

What I have already found is that Varnish will try to request the
entire file from the back-end server, and only if the entire file is
in the cache, will it successfully respond with a partial content
response and not contact the back-end server.

Does Squid has the ability to remove Range Header ?

Ghassan