Re: [squid-users] Re: anyone knows some info about youtube "range" parameter?

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 02:29:14 +0300

On 02/05/2012 01:47, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 02.05.2012 10:12, Ghassan Gharabli wrote:
>> AS I understand that nginx removes Range header as well as several
>> other headers
>> before passing request to upstream to make sure full response will be
>> cached and other requests for the same uri will be served correctly.
>>

> stripping the range header -> wonderful benefit
>

>> Squid at least in versions 2.7 and up, refuses to cache 206 Partial
>> Content responses by default. It is possible to use a combination of
>> the range_offset_limit and quick_abort_min to force Squid to cache the
>> request, but Squid will still strip off the Range header and try to
>> request the entire object but It is still not a good solution.
>
> stripping the range header -> not good
>
> Which one is it?
>

>> Do you know anything about VARNISH which has experimental support for
>> range requests as you can enable it via the “http_range” runtime
>> parameter.

i do now about VARNISH that supports range requests and i never tried
using it.
you cant every theoretically consider varnish for youtube caching.

well microsoft updates is another story so it can be considered.

>> What I have already found is that Varnish will try to request the
>> entire file from the back-end server, and only if the entire file is
>> in the cache, will it successfully respond with a partial content
>> response and not contact the back-end server.
>>
>> Does Squid has the ability to remove Range Header ?
>
> Squid-3.2:
>
> range_offset_limit none youtube
>
> or for older Squid versions:
>
> request_header_access Range deny youtube
in any case the range in hot used using plain "headers" but using a url
argument on youtube.
so it wont help anyway.

Eliezer

--