Re: [squid-users] cache peer communication about HIT/MISS between squid and and non-squid peer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 10:59:46 +1200

On 02.05.2012 03:12, x-man wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have this question:
>
> If you have squid, that is working as intercept proxy for customers,
> has
> parent cache_peer (non-squid), who is not talking ICP or HTCP
> procols, and
> is only dealing with part of the content.
>
> How this parent cache_peer will communicate to the main SQUID about
> if the
> request is MISS or HIT, as I want the main squid to apply packet
> mark for
> the HIT traffic.
>
> Or the marking should be done on the cache peer level?

It is best done at the node which has all the information. Things are
not really as simple as HIT/MISS.

You will also need TOS pass-thru features enabled in the kernel to
propigate the TOS from the squid-upstream packets to the client(s)-squid
packets. Although in you could also map the upstream TOS to a netfilter
MARK value and pass it through Squid then map it to TOS value on the
other connection(s).

Amos