[squid-users] Re: cache peer communication about HIT/MISS between squid and and non-squid peer

From: x-man <x-man_at_vivateam.org>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2012 12:15:41 -0700 (PDT)

Amos Jeffries-2 wrote

> On 02.05.2012 03:12, x-man wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have this question:
>>
>> If you have squid, that is working as intercept proxy for customers,
>> has
>> parent cache_peer (non-squid), who is not talking ICP or HTCP
>> procols, and
>> is only dealing with part of the content.
>>
>> How this parent cache_peer will communicate to the main SQUID about
>> if the
>> request is MISS or HIT, as I want the main squid to apply packet
>> mark for
>> the HIT traffic.
>>
>> Or the marking should be done on the cache peer level?
>
> It is best done at the node which has all the information. Things are
> not really as simple as HIT/MISS.
>
> You will also need TOS pass-thru features enabled in the kernel to
> propigate the TOS from the squid-upstream packets to the client(s)-squid
> packets. Although in you could also map the upstream TOS to a netfilter
> MARK value and pass it through Squid then map it to TOS value on the
> other connection(s).
>
> Amos

If I mark the packets from the cache_peer with netfilter mark, will the
squid preserve it? In this case do I need some kernel modifications?!?

I wonder if there is any simple way that the cache_peer will tell the MAIN
squid that this is HIT and the main squid (who is replying to the customers)
will MARK it with proper TOS? Any way.. be it with protocol or not.