Re: [squid-users] need suggestion for bulk users

From: E.S. Rosenberg <esr+squid_at_g.jct.ac.il>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2012 23:33:10 +0300

2012/5/5 Muhammad Yousuf Khan <sirtcp_at_gmail.com>:
> right now i am handling 35 users with a squid having 512 MB ram and
> it is on virtual server KVM linux, things are working fine. but for my
> career growth i am looking for a good path to continue with squid.
> like for example if i move to another org. and they have like around
> 300 or 500 users . how come ill manage that. i know 512 configuration
> of squid will not handle that bulk queries. so what is the best
> approach. or do you think this tiny (few GB) 512 MB squid VM gonna
> work with 500 users....... however our processor (right now) and
> hardware is strong it is Xeone quade core. 2.6 .
>
> and for me an important question is. how ISP is using Squid what kind
> of infrastructure they have. apart from storage i know ISPs are
> caching youtube and other web contents to lower down their traffic so
> i know they must have good storage system like SAN or NAS but how
> would they cater all the queries where thousands of users are hitting
> just one single box.(may be) ????
>

> Thanks,

Our most heavily used proxy is also our most outdated and oldest
machine at the moment, it is still a hardware machine and not virtual,
it's a dualcore (or dualsocket) Xeon 2.4GHz, has only 1G of RAM, on
average has 500-600 users and handles about 200-300G of traffic per
day.
It's caching performance is less good both due to the much more
diverse nature of the browsing and downloading and the much smaller
cache that it can have since it is only using it's internal harddisks
and not any storage servers.
I think that nicely shows the power of squid.
If you just use it as a device to enable people to get to the Internet
and monitor/block small amounts of traffic even 'weak' machines can
handle a lot.

HTH,
Eli