Re: RES: [squid-users] better configuration for this server

From: Pieter De Wit <pieter_at_insync.za.net>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 07:07:38 +1200

On 8/05/2012 00:56, Mário Sérgio Candian wrote:
> Hi Peter.
>
> Thanks for the answer.
>
> I'd like to run FreeBSD in this server. I don't tried any config. I'll buy
> this server but I need to know if this server supports the amount of users
> that I have.
>
> Yes, this will be a cache for my ISP. The server has gigabit network card. I
> have a link of 400Mbps.
>
> This server can handle this amount of users? 15000 users? About the
> configuration squid, what do u recommend?
>
> Regards,
> MSC

Hi,

I would buy more cache drives (assuming you going to be using the SSD
for this - change the 300gig drives to 146gig's to save some money,
heck, you can even change it to a mirror set of 72gig, it's only the
OS). I won't mess with the default settings since Squid is pretty tuned
as it is. I have ran 6000 connections thru boxes smaller than that, way
smaller. The only time I would change those settings is when you need to
force more caching out of it.

I would also research the disk to memory caching formula on the Squid
wiki (work out how much memory X gig on disk cache needs). More that
this I can't offer without more input from you, otherwise I might as
well deploy the box.

Cheers,

Pieter