Re: RES: [squid-users] better configuration for this server

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 11:47:42 +1200

On 08.05.2012 07:07, Pieter De Wit wrote:
> On 8/05/2012 00:56, Mário Sérgio Candian wrote:
>> Hi Peter.
>>
>> Thanks for the answer.
>>
>> I'd like to run FreeBSD in this server. I don't tried any config.
>> I'll buy
>> this server but I need to know if this server supports the amount of
>> users
>> that I have.
>>
>> Yes, this will be a cache for my ISP. The server has gigabit network
>> card. I
>> have a link of 400Mbps.
>>
>> This server can handle this amount of users? 15000 users? About the
>> configuration squid, what do u recommend?
>>
>> Regards,
>> MSC
>>

> Hi,
>
> I would buy more cache drives (assuming you going to be using the SSD
> for this - change the 300gig drives to 146gig's to save some money,
> heck, you can even change it to a mirror set of 72gig, it's only the
> OS). I won't mess with the default settings since Squid is pretty
> tuned as it is. I have ran 6000 connections thru boxes smaller than
> that, way smaller. The only time I would change those settings is
> when
> you need to force more caching out of it.
>
> I would also research the disk to memory caching formula on the Squid
> wiki (work out how much memory X gig on disk cache needs). More that
> this I can't offer without more input from you, otherwise I might as
> well deploy the box.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pieter

The two main hardware bottlenecks for high performance Squid is CPU GHz
and disk RPM numbers. The higher those numbers the better. Squid is
event-driven software instead of threaded, so multiple 1-2 GHz cores is
worse than a single 3+ GHz core. Higher disk RPM of course speeds up the
delivery of disk cached items, so 15K RPM disks better than larger 10K
RPM even when smaller (there is a 2^24 or so object limit per disk which
limits utility of big disks anyway).

With an 8-core machine you will likely be looking at a multiple-process
setup for Squid to achieve full 400Mbps (3-5 squid processes?). 3.2
series can do this natively with workers, older Squid need some slightly
complex config. Details are in the wiki.squid-cache.org documentation
under SMP and multi process support.

Amos