Re: [squid-users] better configuration for this server

From: H <hm_at_hm.net.br>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2012 02:34:45 -0300

Mário Sérgio Candian wrote:
> Hi guys.
>
> I have a server with this configuration:
>
> Intel xeon E5-2670 with 8 cores, 2.60GHz (3.30 GHz with Turbo Boost), 20MB
> of cache, QPI Link 8GT/s;
> Hyper-threading, 1600MHz TDP of 115 Watts;
> 32GB ( 4 x 8GB ) RAM DDR3-1333MHz, Dual rank x4;
> RAID 5;
> 3 HDs SAS 6Gbps of 300GB, 10k RPM, Hot Plug;
> CacheCade 200GB SSD SAS
>
> Is this enough to support 7000 simultaneous users? For 15000 users is
> enough?

it's never enough :)

but you are not making the right question

enough for what?

what kind of cache you're trying to set up? proxy, transparent proxy,
tproxy, how this machine gets the traffic?

you need to define and eventual limit the tcp connection rate and
bandwidth of your client profiles and set your goals, then you have
numbers you can deal with in order to check if the HW and OS is
supporting it

since squid is not SMP capable, your CPU selector is not the number of
cores but the CPU frequency, the higher the better, if you chose FreeBSD
you might check some of AMDs black edition CPUs and FBSD amd64 which are
faster combinations in comparison to Intel's CPUs

then you tune your OS for getting best network throughput

you may set up your server to run several squid instances to make better
usage of all CPUs

3x300G eventual may not be so very much storage space for your network
size, but you can let this for later

do not use raid, if you use FreeBSD have a look at ZFS or GJOURNAL and
async mount, which both are pretty fast with squid's aufs storage, in
any case U320 10K SCSI will do the same and cheaper than the SAS disks

have fun!

caso interessa uma solução profissional, garantida e sem ter que fuçar e
rodar longos testes pode falar comigo em particular

Hans

> Whats the better configuration of squid with a server like this? Whats value
> I can use in cache_mem? In cache_dir option, is advisable to use diskd or
> aufs?
>
> And the other options:
>
> cache_swap_low ??
> cache_swap_high ??
> cache_replacement_policy ??
> memory_replacement_policy ??
>
> I'd like a configuration for maximum performance. Someone can help me?
>
> Regards,
> MSC

+55 11 4249.2222