[squid-users] Squid DNS internal client

From: anita <anita.sivakumar_at_wipro.com>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2012 06:57:22 -0700 (PDT)

Hi All,

Can someone throw some light on how the Squid DNS internal client works?

I came across this:

Disadv of using internal client
Can use only the DNS nameservers mentioned in the squid.conf file for
resolution. If it is not present there, it will give a DNS error.

Adv of using external client (uses system libraries: sys calls like
gethostbyname, ..)
Can use DNS nameservers + etc/hosts or WINS ,etc for lookup depending on
configuration if nameservers report negative.

(courtesy:
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/jonathan.deboynepollard/FGA/web-squid-dns-client-options.html)

But what I dont understand is, I am using only DNS internal client for my
squid. But I have not configured any nameservers and hence did not mention
that in my squid.conf. In this case, it is anyway reading from /etc/hosts
file. So how is it different from the external DNS client except for the ttl
part?
I especially dont understand the advantage of using the external client,
i.e. it can look up outside nameservers. I believe in my case, it is any way
looking up into etc/host file when i use the internal client.

thanks.