Re: [squid-users] Reverse-proxy for site on Google AppEngine

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2012 23:27:43 +0300

On 01/06/2012 01:23, Will wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up a squid 3.1 reverse proxy server (accelerator) for my
> website on Google AppEngine. The squid.conf looks like this,
>
> http_port 80 accel defaultsite=my.public.domain.name ignore-cc
> cache_peer mysite.appspot.com parent 80 0 no-query originserver
> login=PASS name=gaeAccel
> acl gae dstdomain my.public.domain.name
> http_access allow gae
> http_access deny all
> cache_peer_access gaeAccel allow gae
> cache_peer_access gaeAccel deny all
>
> Squid redirects me to the Google's search home page.
>
> As soon as I changed mysite.appspot.com in cache_peer to anything
> else, such as www.yahoo.com, it worked. I've tried substituting
> mysite.appspot.com with different sites on Google AppEngine, all got
> redirected to Google's search page.
>
> Any idea?
>
> It's on Ubuntu Server 12.04, Squid 3.1.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Will

hey will

i dont know exactly how the appspot works but it seems that google uses
virtual domains on the same ip and response only to requests of domains
that are hosted on appspot.

what you are doing with a cache_peer is throwing the requested domain to
the ip of the cache_peer.

so the request that google server "mysite.appspot.com" gets is a request
for "my.public.domain.name" and since google is not hosting it the basic
rule is to redirect into google.com

to make it work change the http_port the option to
"defaultsite=mysite.appspot.com" and add "no-vhost"

on the http_access i'm not sure but i think you should add also the
"mysite.appspot.com" domain to the allowed such as:

acl gae dstdomain my.public.domain.name mysite.appspot.com

it works like a charm!

Eliezer

--
Eliezer Croitoru