Re: [squid-users] Why is squid caching local intranet domains??

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 15:19:49 +1200

On 07.06.2012 04:10, bnichols wrote:
> Well the only issue I really have is that any host that is MANUALLY
> configure for the squid gets cache hits on the hosts in the
> localdomain, which really isny a problem, considering none of my
> hosts
> are manually configured, and its all done via forwarding on the
> router.
>
> So in essence, squid is doing what I want it to do, caching all
> traffic, and letting the local hosts go directly to local webservers
> on
> the intranet.

Squid is not doing this second part. Your router or Squid box firewall
is. Everything going through Squid gets logged.

> I was just surprised and bewildered by the lack of log file
> generation
> when trying to access a local webserver. I would have expected to see
> logs with DIRECT in them rather than a lack of logs all together.

There are two separate network configs participating in your setup:

  1) your router box diversion (policy routing or DNAT)
  2) your squid box diversion (DNAT or REDIRECT or TPROXY)

Take another look at the config on the *Squid* box.

I think that you will find as Eliezer said earlier that the packets
destined to the Squid box web server are ACCEPT'ed without being sent
into Squid. Even if they come from outside the box.

Amos