[squid-users] Re: stupid problem with squid and and local adresses.

From: Linda W <squid-user_at_tlinx.org>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2012 18:47:31 -0700

Ton Muller wrote:
> access webmail is not possible when i use name lookup, i must use IP
> adres for it.
>
> so, my question..
> where did i make a mistake , i used basic squid config, and added only
> some ports for access.

----
lots of possibilities --
1), I usually have clients setup to go direct to anything on my local net.
If they can't resolve the other hostnames properly (internal DNS/hosts/NIS/
whatever). That could cause problems.  How do your internal clients
resolve internal addresses -- do you have a DNS server setup for local clients?
2) I also usually have squid setup NOT to serve internal addresses -- so if
a client tries to go through squid to get to an internal address, it will usually
get an 'access denied' -- since going through squid to get to a local address is
just 'wrong'...
It also helps prevent someone getting access to squid from the outside --
(hypothetical)
then they would get an access denied for any ports on the inside of my net.
Those are things that would go wrong on my network.  Now what can go wrong on your
network depends on config's of clients, squid, how your network is setup...etc...
Give you any ideas?