RE: [squid-users] Re: FTP through squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 10:29:00 +1200

On 26.06.2012 21:51, Jasper Van Der Westhuizen wrote:
> I don't think that is the problem.. If I ftp directly from the squid
> server to my test ftp site, it works fine.

"ftp" program is using native FTP protocol directly to the remote site.
OK.

> Via a browser it works fine.

browser is sending proxy ftp:// URLs and letting Squid perform native
FTP protocol directly to the remote site. OK.

> Only when using a FTP client, such as FileZilla for example, it
> fails..

FileZilla wraps individual FTP connection data in HTTP CONNECT
*message* and sends to the HTTP proxy to make a *TCP* connection to the
FTP server. OK in theory.
however, each FTP channel requires a new request and data connections
use random ports.... Breakage whenever the CONNECT is limited to
specific ports (just about everywhere).

To proxy FTP well you need an FTP proxy. + FTP was designed not to be
proxied. There is one called frox proxy which handles FTP with some
tricks.

Amos