Re: [squid-users] Re: squid with pdns, bandwidth control issue

From: Ed W <lists_at_wildgooses.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2012 17:41:23 +0100

On 29/06/2012 14:12, Muhammad Yousuf Khan wrote:
> i have made some test and here is some detail and results
> ok i am using two machine
>
> 1, Gateway IPcop (linux)
> 2. Debian lenny (squid)
>
> i am using download manager to download a 50MB file.
>
> IPCOP
> -----------
> when i do it VIA IPCOP my download burst rate up to 270 KB
> not ping delay and other can also brows easily.
>
> Squid on Lenny
> ------------------------
>
> VIA SQuid (proxy mode) my download reach 365 which is full throughput
> and faster then IPCOP but
> ping delay reach 4000 which is considered almost near to death.
>
> and no other users can brown and getting time out message on there browser.
>

> i think this shows that issue is with squid box and i don't know
> weather i have to tweak the squid or TCP buffer or anything

Run a download using wget from both boxes and observe the download
speeds and effect on ping. This might help you figure out if it's an
operating system configuration setting

The effect is clear though - one of your machines is managing to max out
the entire inbound connection (which is exactly what TCP is supposed to
try and do). The other machine is only partially using the connection
(I know that feels more desirable, but it's likely an accident and it's
not how tcp tries to behave)

So your problem seems to be reduced to figuring out why one machine is
performing optimally and hence hogging the whole internet connection.

Reduce the problem to the basics and debug from there. Just remember
that tcp is supposed to learn how to hog the entire connection,
allocating traffic more evenly is a tricky problem and you might want to
use the various features in squid delay pools and linux traffic control
to control this..?

Good luck

Ed W