[squid-users] slow reconfigure on squid3

From: Mr J Potter <jpotter833_at_because.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:08:46 +0100

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this issue:

We've just moved to squid3 from squid2, and now when we do squid3 -k
reconfigure we get about 30 seconds of squid refusing/failing to
forward requests while it rejigs itself. I don't know if this is
squid3 rescanning the cache or doing something with squidguard (we
have a fairly complex+large squidguard setup)? I don't think this
happened with squid2.

What can we do to make this less noticeable?

- make it reconfigure faster?
- multiple squid servers - can we do failover somehow (either proxy
DNS record points to them both, or they automatically redirect (is
this what cache peers are for?))?
over squid2...

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks