Re: [squid-users] slow reconfigure on squid3

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 00:47:49 +1200

On 2/07/2012 8:08 p.m., Mr J Potter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Does anyone have any tips on how to fix this issue:
>
> We've just moved to squid3 from squid2, and now when we do squid3 -k
> reconfigure we get about 30 seconds of squid refusing/failing to
> forward requests while it rejigs itself. I don't know if this is
> squid3 rescanning the cache or doing something with squidguard (we
> have a fairly complex+large squidguard setup)? I don't think this
> happened with squid2.
>
> What can we do to make this less noticeable?
>
> - make it reconfigure faster?

Always good, regardless of the version. Also making it reconfigure less
often. You really only should not need to reconfigure much.

> - multiple squid servers - can we do failover somehow (either proxy
> DNS record points to them both, or they automatically redirect (is
> this what cache peers are for?))?

Yes cache_peer are for this sort of thing *within* a cluster. For
client-facing failover PAC file or DNS is appropriate depending on
whether you are serving as forward or reverse proxy respectively.

> over squid2...
>
> any help would be greatly appreciated.

Which particular Squid versions? that matters a lot with questions like
these. The other option is to upgrade to a current release if your 3.x
version is old. We have resolved a number of speed and resource usage
problems already (but as always there are more to go though).

NP: 2.x and 3.x version numbers between 2.5 and 3.2 are parallel
branches with tradeoffs in both directions. Unfortunately speed was
traded away for features in the 3.x side of the 3.0/3.1 pair. Squid-3.2
will supercede both branches and hopefully resolve the whole decision mess.

Amos