Re: [squid-users] a miss threshold for certian times of a specified webpages

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 00:36:04 +1200

On 2/07/2012 6:13 p.m., Mustafa Raji wrote:

> [...]

Oh. Hit ratio is not something you can test like that. Attempts at
partial-caching will actively *reduce* it.

> simple example/
>
> if i add a hard of 500 gigabyte i can reach a hit ratio 20% this is worth of adding this hardware
> if i add a hard of 500 gigabyte i can reach 2% hit ratio it's not worth to add this hardware

> if course in this community, there is a good method to calculate that please can you show me how to do that if you have time or just give me a links to a webpage explain how to do that

Hit ratio is the ratio of cacheable to non-cacheable content in your
HTTP traffic flow. Imagine the cache storage size as a "window" of
traffic over which this HIT ratio is accumulated. There is some complex
feedbacks, in that each 1% of HIT increases the actual traffic window
size by 1% and things like that.

So as you can see, the best way to calculate HIT ratio is to take a
measure of your users HTTP traffic (Twice as large as the proposed 500GB
cache size [in case you are lucky enough to get ~50% hit ratio]) and see
how many of them were repeat requests for the same URL. That count as a
percentage of the total requests is a rough upper-limit HIT ratio for
your users. You can guess that a bit of those were non-cacheable, but
long-term due to that increasing-window effect your request HIT ratio
will trend around that number.

NOTE: unfortunately I'm not aware of any tools that make this
calculation easy. If you have an existing Squid, you can do it from the
historic access.log. Otherwise you are left with tricky TCP dumps etc.

But effectively, the larger your cache storage size, the more HIT
traffic you can achieve. Nobody I know of is proxying real user traffic
and getting less than 5% HIT ratio without something (like small or no
disk cache) limiting the traffic than can be HIT on. Current Squid are
getting 10%-20% ratios out of the box for ISP that setup a cache and
leave it without any special attention. The special case mobile networks
with tuning are achieving up to 55% in one ISP.
  ... and we are constantly doing things to improve cacheability, from
adjusting Squid cache control algorithms to advocating cache-friendly
practices by web designers.

Amos