Re: [squid-users] slow reconfigure on squid3

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2012 20:50:14 +1200

On 4/07/2012 7:49 p.m., Mr J Potter wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> thanks for your responses...
>
> versions - I use the standard ones with Debian squeeze (2.7.stable9 and 3.1.6)
>
> Yes there are lots of helpers - 25 NTLM helpers and 10 squiduguard
> helpers, so this could account for slow reconfig.
>
> Upgrading to 3.2 seems like a good bet - are there ready-rooled squid
> 3.2 debs available for Squeeze or do I have to make my own?

Right now you have to roll your own. There is a 3.1.20 in Wheezy/Testing
repositories that should work a lot better than 3.1.6 from Squeeze. You
may want to try that and see if it resolves this issue, there were quite
a few resource consumption issues resolved across the 3.1 series.

> We currently run squid in 3 different flavours of authentication -
> NTLM for PCs, ident for macs and digest for guest network, so have 3
> distinct squid setups running on our proxy server. Would it be worth
> setting these all up as non-caching, then set up a parent caching
> server, or will setting them up as cache peers make them share their
> caches at all?

Either way works.
  * sibling peers has extra traffic coordinating the caches and almost
(but not always) getting it right.
  * one parent caching proxy creates a potential bottleneck at the parent.

Choice is yours.

Amos