Re: [squid-users] Will Work with Atom Processor?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 13:25:56 +1200

On 17.07.2012 04:21, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> On 7/16/2012 9:08 AM, William De Luca wrote:
>> Hey All,
>>
>> I'm thinking about building a web Cache server and I was thinking
>> about getting one of those cheap'o Shuttle slim computers with the
>> dual core Atom Processor. I was just wondering if Squid Web Caching
>> will run on the Atom Processor before I invest in it?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> -Bill
> Hi,
>
> I've tested on Acer AO722 w/ AMD C-60 / FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT... as a
> local cache and it works.
>
> Waitman Gobble
> San Jose California USA

Yes, the only things to be aware of are RAM requirements if your box is
slimline in that direction.
Squid default binary footprint is 6MB, but can be tuned down below 4MB
by disabling a lot of the bells and whistles. Memory cache defaults to
256MB nowdays, but can be configured as low as zero bytes. Squid
requires a few extra MB to run transactions (averages around ~32KB per
concurrent client), so the overall slimline footprint requirements is
somewhere in the order of 16MB.

Amos