Re: [squid-users] Will Work with Atom Processor?

From: George Herbert <george.herbert_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2012 19:35:34 -0700

On Mon, Jul 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> On 17.07.2012 04:21, Waitman Gobble wrote:
>>
>> On 7/16/2012 9:08 AM, William De Luca wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey All,
>>>
>>> I'm thinking about building a web Cache server and I was thinking
>>> about getting one of those cheap'o Shuttle slim computers with the
>>> dual core Atom Processor. I was just wondering if Squid Web Caching
>>> will run on the Atom Processor before I invest in it?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> -Bill
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've tested on Acer AO722 w/ AMD C-60 / FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT... as a
>> local cache and it works.
>>
>> Waitman Gobble
>> San Jose California USA
>

> Yes, the only things to be aware of are RAM requirements if your box is
> slimline in that direction.
> Squid default binary footprint is 6MB, but can be tuned down below 4MB by
> disabling a lot of the bells and whistles. Memory cache defaults to 256MB
> nowdays, but can be configured as low as zero bytes. Squid requires a few
> extra MB to run transactions (averages around ~32KB per concurrent client),
> so the overall slimline footprint requirements is somewhere in the order of
> 16MB.

The Atoms (at least some) can support plenty of RAM - the Sea Micro
(now AMD) SM10000 comes with 4 GB per physical CPU, a standard DDR3
DIMM. That's about 1.5 TB in their box.

Makes me wonder if Sea Micro tested large Squid (or Varnish) clusters...

--
-george william herbert
george.herbert_at_gmail.com