Re: [squid-users] Migration from Squid 2 to 3: ACLs no longer accepting duplicates

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 15:43:01 +1200

On 30.08.2012 09:13, Derek Simon wrote:
> Nichols,
>
> It appears that I need to preprocess the lists before handing them to
> Squid, removing all subdomains were the parent domain is present.
>
> I don't see anything special about your configuration that would
> somehow remedy this issue. Perhaps your lists are sanitized?
>

> On 8/29/2012 7:37 AM, mrnicholsb wrote:
>> Hello, I use squid 3.1 to block with acl, porn sites, malicious
>> sites
>> and ads.
>>
>> I can tell you the WARNING: you should remove basically means you
>> have
>> subdomains added to your list
>> when you have somesite.something.com it leaves something.com
>> accessable,
>> you want to remove somesite.something.com and just let it block
>> something.com to block the entire site, including subdomains, unless
>> you
>> are just wanting to block a sub but not the whole domain, then just
>> ignore the error.

Sub-domains only match when the wildcard syntax ('.' prefix) is used.
These warnings and errors do not appear unless there are two overlapping
ranges of possible match.

The "WARNING" lines are okay, the list needs sanitizing to speed up the

The "ERROR" lines are not, the overlapping ranges are loaded in the
wrong order from the input. You want to block *.example.com, but Squid
loaded "www.example.com" or "example.com" earlier so it cannot add an
overlapping wildcard for that domain (splay algorithm inserts it at a
branch in the tree which will never be checked).

In squid-3 we updated the cases to report properly which type of match
was happening and error on that broken case where run-time behavioru is
so very different from expected behaviour. But appear to have also added
errors on the case where exact duplicates exist. Please try the patch at
http://treenet.co.nz/projects/squid/patches/dstdomain_ACL_duplicates_mk1.patch,
it should reduce them to warnings and drop them out of sight as well.