Re: [squid-users] problems configuring squid with zph (packet marking)

From: Andrew Beverley <>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 11:07:32 +0100

On Thu, 2012-08-30 at 00:14 -0700, Mustafa Raji wrote:
> hi i have a problem with zph configuration in squid 3.1.11 in the squid
> wiki i find the zph configuration directive is qos_flows and i want to
> mark the local-hit packet to root this packets locally
> the configuration in squid.conf file is
> acl localnet
> tcp_outgoing_tos 0xFF localnet

I think you want clientside_tos if you want to affect packets going to
the local client. tcp_outgoing_tos is for packets going to the remote

> qos_flows local-hit=0xFF
> applying these configuration directive and dump the packets using
> tcpdump shows that, this configuration does not works for me some
> output of tcpdump

"Often only multiples of 4 is usable as the two rightmost bits have been
redefined for use by ECN (RFC 3168 section 23.1)"

> i am using squid 3.1.11 with --enable-zph-qos, squid works in the
> intercept mode and the os is debian squeeze

You may want to consider upgrading to the 3.2 branch (although I
appreciate that this is not a Debian stable package). A lot of
improvements have been made to the qos_flows code, and there is also the
option to use netfilter marks which you may find more flexible.