[squid-users] Re: Can't access facebook.com through squid 3.1.19

From: woitek <wojtek_at_dracul.kill.pl>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:55:20 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

I seem to have quite the same problem, except that it is happening with
Squid-2.7 and -3.2 (I tested the newest version yesterday) on the OpenBSD
operating system.

A couple days ago (over a week ago) users started complaining about
*sometimes* not being able to access portions of Facebook. It was very hard
to spot, but later I found out where there is a problem almost nonstop -
when you access pictures on a profile, like on one of ours:
http://www.facebook.com/zycienagoraco?ref=ts

I mean clicking on "zdjęcia", next to the square that has the number of
people liking it. You don't even have to be logged in for that, everything
is via http:// (not https://).

The problem doesn't show up every time but rather after a few visits to the
link. Then, once you click, the request goes to the original site (I can
confirm it with tcpdump), but no reply comes back. After a few minutes Squid
probably timeouts, and doees something again, which it doesn't do in the
meantime, because of which the page loads (it loads a few times, actually -
you have to go "back" a few times to reach the main page, - probably because
it's javascripted).

So far I've seen that the problem occurs both in transparent and in proxy
mode. It might have something to do with the way FB load balances over it's
servers - by changing the IP in the DNS often (2 minutes?). But still I
can't imaging how with such frequent changes hitting the wrong node of the
LB (there seem to be only 2, or 3 different IPs for facebook.com where I am
connecting from) could create a timeout like this one.

The problem, however, does NOT occur on a different server, which is Linux,
not OpenBSD, a slightly different Squid (3.1.x), a different ISP uplink,
naturally different firewall... I'll be diagnosing it more, but maybe you'll
be able to help with what you discover. Thanks.