Re: [squid-users] reloading settings on a regular basis

From: Eliezer Croitoru <eliezer_at_ngtech.co.il>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 01:43:43 +0200

On 9/29/2012 9:38 PM, E.S. Rosenberg wrote:
> I have A, B and C with a potential for quite a few more (not
> necisarily ISPs but also browsing restrictions or lack thereof).
> I guess I over-simplified things a bit, but we have lots of user based
> stuff going on, in addition we also want to start capping bandwidth
> usage on a per user basis so that resources are shared more fairly
> etc.
> Regards,
> Eli

Well still the only difference is that you will need to design the acls
you are going to use.
are you using tproxy or intercept?
you can try by listing a of the things you want to implement and then
plan the network design by that.

if you have 6 ISP's for example you can put one proxy not cache at all
for the interception and accounting stuff which is basically acls and
other stuff.
then use cache_peers with 6 incoming ports that will decide the outgoing
port by the incoming port.(just something in my mind).

if you have some ICAP service then put it somewhere in the
infrastructure in a place that wont effect you delay pools etc.

I dont remember about resources consumption by a no cache at all squid
but it should be low.
I do remember you wanted somewhere to cache youtube etc..
I have a working solution for that and I'm working on store_url_rewrite
which can benefit from this two.

you can also add some captive portal that has user validation in it for
wireless places ( I was working on a way to do it for transparent proxy
like in wifi-coffe shops that has agreement and other stuff like
"prepaid cap" that is being used in cellular providers.

just make a list of things you need\want to get from the network and
from there the only question is how to put the whole puzzle together.

Regards,
Elizer

--
Eliezer Croitoru