Re: [squid-users] Moving squid from Solaris to Linux

From: Jose-Marcio Martins da Cruz <Jose-Marcio.Martins_at_mines-paristech.fr>
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2012 12:00:35 +0200

Hello,

Graham Butler wrote:
> We are currently looking at replacing our Solaris boxes with a flavour of Linux to run squid with a focus on Red Hat and Ubuntu. I am trying to collect some evidence to which OS is being used to run squid and why, before we make a decision. Could you please respond by sending me, or the list, information on which OS you are using to run squid and any information on why your decided to run it on that particular platform.
>
> I am also asking other list for similar information on BIND, Exim, Apache, etc.......
>
> Many thanks for any information you may send me.

We're in the same situation than you.

At the time, I'm investigating a possible alternative to Solaris, with the same kind of
OS, so an opensolaris derived. Hard to know what this will become...

There are some points in favor of OS derived from Solaris/OpenSolaris :
* administrators skills, preferences, ...;
* a lot of existing administration scripts;
* ZFS - ok ! FreeBSD may be an alternative
* Solaris zones, which is a simple way to put virtualisation in place.

There are some points against Opensolaris derived OSs and the mainly is : what will all
these distribs become in the future.

For the moment, I'm trying to compile most of these server applications under OpenIndiana
: squid, bind, sendmail, mail filtering app, apache, php, ... and for the moment, I have
no problem. Compiling all these applications at home is what we always did. So, no changes
there.

So, openindiana seems to be a way to report later a final OS change decision and do a
smooth change.

Regards,

José-Marcio

--
  Envoyé de ma machine à écrire.
   Spam : Classement statistique de messages électroniques -