Re: [squid-users] 502 Bad gateway

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 18:05:12 +1300

On 13/10/2012 2:18 a.m., Leonardo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm getting "502 bad gateway" while attempting to access the site
> ibs.it. This happens with squid 3.2.2 and 3.2.0.19 at least. It does not
> happen with squid 2.7.x series (not tested with all minor revisions
> though).
>
> Anyone else getting the same error?

Beyond the generic HTTP status code what else do you have? Squid logs
and the content of that 503 response would be helpful.

> I've dumped the traffic with squid and without squid (it works without
> proxy), and as far I could tell, there's no reverse proxy doing bad
> stuff.

It's not about a reverse proxy. It's about something somewhere in the
relay chain not being available. The error page itself will tell more.

> The answer from the site appears to be same in both cases. With
> squid, I see that after the second response packet, after the GET
> request, my proxy closes the connection with FIN,ACK, and all subsequent
> response packets get an RST.

Sounds perfectly normal behaviour for TCP shutting down a connection.

But are you saing the proxy sends FIN or FIN+ACK ? which one determines
which end is doing the closure.

> What could it be the issue?

One of the services needed by Squid to provide a response is not
working. Upstream HTTP server, DNS server, ICAP server, helper problem,
TCP errors, URL scheme unknown, .... could be any one of those or
something else entirely.

Amos