Re: [squid-users] what is the recommended libecap location?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 14:45:38 +1300

On 19/10/2012 11:29 a.m., carteriii wrote:
> My environment is Ubuntu 12.04. Is there a standard or preferred location to
> put the ecap library? The library itself appears to only exist in the
> src/libecap/.libs directory after being built. Should I be manually copying
> this to /usr/lib or /usr/lib/squid3 or somewhere like that? What is the
> recommended practice, both for production and for allowing the build of the
> sample eCap adapter to find it.

You had best discuss this with the libecap developers. Alex Rousskov is
in charge there, you can contact him via squid-dev mailing list or
www.measurement-factory.com. libecap itself is not part of the Squid
Project.

You need to build Squid-3.1 with explicitly
--with-ecap=/path/to/libecap.a anyway so it does not matter IMO. So long
as the library is pre-built and available somewhere identifiable before
Squid is built.

You may want to retain consistency with the 0.2.0 install location (I'm
not aware where that is though).

> If it matters, I successfully built the ecap library version 0.0.3 because I
> saw other discussions in the archive saying that is the appropriate version
> to run with squid 3.1.19 on Ubuntu 12.04 (& that eCap 0.2.0 is specifically
> for squid 3.2). If that is incorrect, please tell me.

That is correct. libecap did not have stable revision control
implemented until 0.2.0 and the (now deprecated) squid-3.1 series does
not include support for using that revision control or the 0.2.0 library
ABI.

> I also see the library was named libecap.so.0.0.0 and includes symbolic
> links to it. Is there a reason the file name doesn't have 0.0.3 (rather
> than 0.0.0)? Should that be a concern?

Yes it is one of several issues libecap had before 0.2.0 introduced
proper versioning support.

Amos