Re: [squid-users] TPROXY Timeouts on Select Websites

From: Matthew Goff <matt_at_goff.cc>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 06:53:24 -0500

On Mon, Oct 22, 2012 at 10:40 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
> If I am reading that correctly you are saying the ICMPv6 'too big' packets
> are not going to Squid, but to the client machine?

I will have to try and run a tcpdump on the edge router itself when I
get off work today, but the Wireshark from my Squid box showed the
ICMPv6 'too big' originating from my edge router's LAN port with a
destination address of my client machine.

> Which would make it a TPROXY bug, since the outbound connection from Squid
> is where the MTU should be lowered at the kernel level.

Is there a Squid config option to modify MTU? I didn't see anything
except the PMTU discovery, but perhaps it would be a beneficial
addition to allow specifying MTU? I'm not even certain how much work
that would be as I haven't looked through the Squid src myself; just a
thought.

> Or are they *addressed* to the client machine and caught by TPROXY properly
> but MTU not respected?

I don't know if Squid had already processed the packets for re-writing
before Wireshark displays them or not, so I'll check a tcpdump at the
router itself to see where it originally directed the packet to before
my Squid box had any chance to mangle it.