[squid-users] question of understanding: squid smp/workers and logfiles

From: Rietzler, Markus \(RZF, SG 324 / \) <markus.rietzler_at_fv.nrw.de>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 12:32:31 +0000

we are using squid 3.2.3 with smp workers.

in http://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale it is written that workers can share logs.
in the docu it is also mentioned, that one should upgrade to the faster and better logfile daemon.

we are using the following (log) config:

workers 3
logfile_daemon /path/to/log_file_daemon
logfile_rotate 14
logformat squid %ts.%03tu %6tr %>a %Ss/%03>Hs %<st %rm %ru %[un %Sh/%<A %mt [kid${process_number}]
access_log daemon:/rzf/produkte/www/files/squid/logs/access.log squid

when we start with empty log dir, we have one

access_log

after squid start. when I now call squid -k roate

I get

access_log
access_log.0
access_log.1
access_log.2
access_log.3

same happens, when I use

access_log stdio:/rzf/produkte/www/files/squid/logs/access.log squid

I thought workers can share one logfile. so each worker's logfile_daemon get a rotate signal.

when I use

access_log daemon:$SQUID_FILES/logs/access_kid${process_number}.log squid

and do a rotate, I get the access_kidX.log,0. so each worker is rotating its own logfile.

so this will work, but can we have on single logfile for all workers and have a correct working rotating?

mfg

Markus Rietzler
<rietzler_software/>
Rechenzentrum der Finanzverwaltung