Re: [squid-users] Blacklisted SSL site link (facebook) cause site being viewed to fail

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Thu, 08 Nov 2012 17:55:41 +1300

On 8/11/2012 5:19 p.m., James Robertson wrote:
> We have an ACL that includes facebook.com as a blocked site. Another
> site that staff use for work is www.redbook.com.au, this site has
> links all through it to facebook, twitter etc.
>
> The problem is that when navigating www.redbook.com.au it tries to
> connect to https://www.facebook.com but because it is blocked this
> causes www.redbook.com.au to fail with an error such as in IE
> "Internet Explorer cannot display the web page".
>
> The process to repeat the issue is:
>
> 1. Head to http://www.redbook.com.au
> 2. Enter in a make, model and year to find a car for and hit search
> 3. Click on one of the results that it finds
> 4. Pick one of the sub-models (Version of the car ie VL, VS, things like that)
> 5. The next page is usually where it stops (it should provides details
> for an individual car)
>
> The log excerpt attached is from the proxy and I have marked when the
> failure occurs.
>
> If I allow facebook everything works fine. Is is possible to still
> block facebook but stop it making redbook die?

Nope. At least not with anythign Squid can do.

As your log shows all Squid has done is sent a 403 Forbidden response.
Perfectly reasonable thing to send when access is being forbidden.
Killing the entire browser page loading and display process when a
single object fails is a bug in the browser.

Amos