Re: [squid-users] serveral workers and -N parameter possible ?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2012 15:20:26 +1300

On 9/11/2012 1:39 a.m., Dieter Bloms wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to run squid with several workers and when I start squid without
> -N option, then I see all the workers and it works as expected.
> But I use the daemontools from Danial Bernstein to start and monitor the
> proccesses. This tool requires, that the proccesses don't go in
> background.
>
> I think it must be possible to start the master proccess in foreground
> (-N option) and this master manages the workers in background.
>
> Squid does this allready with the auth and session helpers for years, so
> why does the -N option prevent squid from starting more workers ?

Because -N means run in the foreground without daemons and workers are
daemons. upstart, daemontools and other daemon-managers are not able to
re-start workers when they are hidden away in the background and do not
play nicely when there is another manager process than themselves.

The auth helpers etc are sub-programs run as sub-processes nor forked
like workers are so they do not clash with whatever service manager is
in use.

Amos