[squid-users] Re: how do you deploy after building squid yourself?

From: carteriii <web_s_at_tcarter.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 12:55:46 -0800 (PST)

I found where the user & group are being set, so I have more confidence in my
plan (detailed below), but would still appreciate some feedback.

For future reference . . .

The Ubuntu package adds the 'proxy' user if it does not exist. This is done
through the squid3.preinst script which you can find (after installing the
package) at /var/lib/dpkg/info. There is also a squid3.postinst script
which then checks the squid.conf file for cache_effective_user and
cace_effective_group, using "proxy" if it does not find any other specified
value.

The squid3.postinst script then uses the user & group to set the permissions
of the cache directory and log directory if the permissions do not already
match.

With that information I grep'ed the squid source and found that
cache_effective_user has a default value of "nobody" in the cf_parser.cci.

So after all this, I think my best approach is to first install the default
distribution of squid in order to get all the default upstart configuration,
create the proxy user & group, set permissions on the files, etc. I then
will set options in my squid.conf file to match the default distribution.
Specifically, I'll need:

cache_effective_user proxy
cache_effective_group proxy
access_log daemon:/var/log/squid3/access.log squid
cache_log /var/log/squid3/cache.log

Finally I'm going to change the paths in /etc/init/squid.conf to point to my
new build, rather than the default binaries from the distribution.

To those of you who build squid yourself, how does that compare to what you
are doing?