Re: [squid-users] Re: how do you deploy after building squid yourself?

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2012 11:08:28 +1300

On 03.12.2012 09:55, carteriii wrote:
> I found where the user & group are being set, so I have more
> confidence in my
> plan (detailed below), but would still appreciate some feedback.
>
> For future reference . . .

There is no need to build with special parameters. Squid will run fine
on Ubuntu with any ./configure build options. However as you noticed
when building with ones different to Ubuntu you need to do all the
scripts, directories and permissions setup yourself.

If you want to integrate it with the Ubuntu package scripts then you
need to install that package first to get all the special setup, then
custom-build the sources with the Debian/Ubuntu build options:
http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Ubuntu#Compiling

I recommend installing the "squid" package, since the "squid3" package
has a lot of patching to file paths adding that '3' which is not
configurable in the official Squid sources.

Amos