[squid-users] Re: how do you deploy after building squid yourself?

From: carteriii <web_s_at_tcarter.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2012 06:05:15 -0800 (PST)

Are you building the source on your production server?

If you're not building the source on the server, yet pointing to /usr/local,
then it would seem that you'd have to copy up all the individual directories
of files (e.g. bin/, sbin/, lib/, etc.) rather than being able to just tar
up on directory and have everything you need. Or do you configure your
build with something like /usr/local/squid (rather than just /usr/local)
such that everything is below that one directory?

I prefer not to build on the production server because it makes a roll-back
far more involved and problematic, having to rebuild an older version of
source while being offline until something is ready. I also prefer not to
upload separate directories and/or files which makes it more likely that
I'll miss something and file transfers never complete at the same time so it
potentially creates a moment in time with a partial install of old & new.

Would you please tell me a bit more about your situation? I'm having
difficulty creating a self-contained build, but your suggestion gives me the
idea to consider building to /usr/local/squid rather than just /usr/local.