Re: [squid-users] Ideas for Squid statistics Web UI development

From: Marcello Romani <mromani_at_ottotecnica.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 09:43:15 +0100

Il 19/11/2012 01:05, George Machitidze ha scritto:
> Hello
>
> I've started development of open sourced Web UI for gathering stats
> for Squid proxy server and need your help to clarify needs and
> resources.
>
> Where it came from:
> Enterprises require auditing, reporting, configuration
> check/visibility and statistics. I can say that most of these things
> are easy to implement and provide in different ways, except reporting
> and stats. Additionally, there are some requirements in functionality
> and nice interface not met by currently available solutions that I've
> found. Also, state of maintenance, future development etc are very
> unclear and Ineffective, but still acceptable or enough for _some_
> installations. If you know something that can do all this stuff -
> please let me know.
> So, I've decided to write everything from the scratch, maybe will take
> some public-licensed part from other projects.
>
> Architecture:
> Starting point is gathering stats, then we need to manipulate and
> store it, then we can add some regular jobs (will avoid this) and then
> we need to view this.
>
> Gathering data
> Available sources:
> 1. Logs, available via files or logging daemon (traffic, errors)
> 2. Stats available via SNMP (status/counters/config)
> 3. Cache Manager (status/counters/config)
> 4. OS-level things (footprint, processes, disk, cpu etc)
> [anything else?]
>
> This part will be done by local logging daemon, I won't use file
> logging for known reasons.
> BTW, good starting point is log_mysql_daemon by marcello, available in
> GPL, written in perl. Effective enough to start and load any data to
> DB - it's simple enough and took for me 10-15 minutes to analyze the
> code, setup and configure.

Hi, I'm the author of log_mysql_daemon.

As time permits, I'm willing to help. At the time I wote that I had some
ideas (well, mostly questions in fact) about how to complement that
10-liner with some decent db / perl / whatever programming to deal with
the long term data retention and analysis issues that the
one-log-line-one-table-row approach poses.

--
Marcello Romani