[squid-users] What might be a foolish question about url redirects

From: Brian Dunbar <brian.dunbar_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 16:34:30 -0600

1. A requirement came across my desk a few weeks ago. Not sure if
'squid' is the right tool for this, or not. It _could_ be but I'm not
an expert by any means. All feedback appreciated.

2. What the developer and PM want is ..

- Set a static URL like myurl.intranet.company.com.

- myurl.intranet.company.com redirects to realhostname.eu.company.com

- A script - living at 'realhostname' - changes the redirect to whatever.

- There could be a dozen or so of these, a one to one basis

myurl > realhost1
myurl2 > realhost2
myurl3 > realhost3

And so on.

3. We went to and fro and (it's complicated) changing the value in DNS
is not going to work. Gotta be a URL redirect, and the PM insists it
be scriptable from the app host.

It looks like I can use the url_rewrite_program directive, a bit of
bash/perl/PHP [1] and call it a day;

if $input = URL1 then $output = realhost1

4. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there a better way to make all
this happen?

[1] http://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/PhpRedirectors

--
Brian Dunbar