Re: [squid-users] What might be a foolish question about url redirects

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 13:48:10 +1300

On 22/12/2012 11:34 a.m., Brian Dunbar wrote:
> 1. A requirement came across my desk a few weeks ago. Not sure if
> 'squid' is the right tool for this, or not. It _could_ be but I'm not
> an expert by any means. All feedback appreciated.
>

> 2. What the developer and PM want is ..
>
> - Set a static URL like myurl.intranet.company.com.
>
> - myurl.intranet.company.com redirects to realhostname.eu.company.com
>
> - A script - living at 'realhostname' - changes the redirect to whatever.
>
> - There could be a dozen or so of these, a one to one basis
>
> myurl > realhost1
> myurl2 > realhost2
> myurl3 > realhost3
>
> And so on.
>

> 3. We went to and fro and (it's complicated) changing the value in DNS
> is not going to work. Gotta be a URL redirect, and the PM insists it
> be scriptable from the app host.
>

> It looks like I can use the url_rewrite_program directive, a bit of
> bash/perl/PHP [1] and call it a day;
>
> if $input = URL1 then $output = realhost1
>

> 4. Am I barking up the wrong tree? Is there a better way to make all
> this happen?

Seems simple enough. Just ensure that the URL helper is doign HTTP
redirect (sending 30x messages out for the URL change).

If you make the helper use a database to source its pattern and
destination data that database can be updated by the external machines
that need to change things.

The alternative if you want to hide the URL destination from the
clients, (NOT doing URL re-write) is to use an external_acl_type helper
which tags each request with a tag the cache_peer_access list checks for
in determining which peer to send it to.

Amos