Re: [squid-users] bandwidth control using squid

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2013 00:17:29 +1300

On 8/01/2013 11:27 p.m., Benedict S. Dcunha wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I have been using squid as a proxy server for quite some time and its working great
> recently there arose a need for bandwidth control.

Technical need or policy need?
  technical need is a sure sign of problems outside of Squid which
should be fixed first. Policy requirements is also a sign of problems
outside of Squid but fixing the relevant heads ideas is a much harder
problem.

> i have acls based on vlans.
>
> so i want to limit bandwidth based on acls.
>
> after googling around I did find and put these in my squid.conf for testing for one acl
>
> acl vlan6 192.168.100.0/24
> reply_body_max_size 5000000 allow vlan6
>
> now how would i check if my acl is really working and my bandwidth and download is limited to max 5 mb

It is not. Any one client can request 100 objects, each being 5MB large
== 500MB bandwidth.

The best way to bandwidth limit with Squid is to pass out TOS values for
operating system bandwidth controls to manage the actual limiting. Use
tcp_outgoing_tos directive for that.

The second best is to use Squid Delay Pools. use delay_parameters and
related directives for that.

Amos