Re: [squid-users] Squid 3.2 & RockStore

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2013 15:36:01 +1300

On 13/01/2013 1:00 p.m., Nyamul Hassan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've been a member of this forum for a while now, and with your help,
> have 4 (four) Squid 2.7 (currently STABLE9) installed and running.
> They have been running smoothly, with very few complaints from my
> guys.
>
> One of the most desirable features that made us stick to the 2.7
> branch was COSS. I was just looking at the current state of affairs
> with the 3.x branch, and was delighted to see that you do have a
> replacement named RockStore. The documentation warns heavily that it
> has not been tested in production up to your satisfaction.
>
> Is there anything we can do to help? I could run one of our servers
> in production using 3.2 with RockStore, and report back problems, if
> you needed that.

That would indeed be a great help. Most of the issue with testing has
been the small amount of users throwing traffic at it, so if you can
give it a go that would be great.

Just be wary that Rock store does have an absolute limit of 32KB on
objects stored, unlike COSS which allowed you to increase the slot size
to large numbers.

> Would you recommend I replace 2.7 with 3.2? Or am I better off with 2.7?
>
> Regards
> HASSAN

3.2 is ready for upgrade from most 2.7 installations. Athough in a few
performance optimization areas such as collapsed forwarding it still
lags behind.

Amos