Re: [squid-users] HTTP/1.1 pipelining

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 23:00:24 +1300

On 19/02/2013 9:59 p.m., FredB wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I saw that some browsers are no RFC compliant about http pipelining
>
> I found this:
>
> Firefox 2: 2
> Firefox 3+: 6
> Opera 9.26: 4
> Opera 12: 6
> Safari 3: 4
> Safari 5: 6
> IE 7: 2
> IE 8: 6
> IE 10: 8
> Chrome: 6
>
> Squid support pipelining ? or it serializes pipelined request ?
> If squid support it, how I can limit - for example 2 simultaneous - or disabled this option with squid 3.2.7 ?

 From those questions its clear you don't get how HTTP/1.1 pipelines
work. The browser shunts N requests into a connection before the first
response is received back. They still have to be read and processed in
order.

Squid reads requests out of the client connection one at a time and
processes them. Unreceived requests are left in the TCP network buffers.

So long as you have persistent connections with clients enabled Squid
can receive pipelined requests and will respond correctly.

> I'm asking this because I tried to play with maxconn limit, and I saw a difference between Chrome and firefox 2, chrome touches the limit very quickly

maxconn and pipelines are not related.

Amos