Re: [squid-users] Re: SMP vs Single Process Performance

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2013 11:30:09 +1300

On 19/03/2013 2:17 a.m., Giorgi Tepnadze wrote:
> On 18.03.2013 14:06, babajaga wrote:
>
>> So you might consider having multiple workers for rock-dir, but only
>> one for
>> the larger stuff, stored using one single HUGE aufs.
>
> Hello, Very interesting recommendations for me also. One question how
> to configure squid for situation described above by you?
> Let me describe this situation as I see it, requests for big objects
> >32KB go to one worker with aufs and other requests with smaller
> objects go to another worker with rock.
> So can squid select different workers by looking at
> HTTPContent-Lengthresponse header?

No. The worker is selected at TCP SYN time before anything like whether
it is even HTTP arriving are known.

What you gain from multiple workers is the shared rock cache for <32KB
objects, the AUFS currently still operates like each worker is a
separate sibling and will duplicate. That said, under-32KB objects form
the majority of Internet traffic so the gains are not exactly small.

Amos