[squid-users] Re: squid qos_flows - copying mark from client side to upstream request?

From: Andrew Beverley <andy_at_andybev.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 23:13:56 +0000

On Wed, 2013-03-27 at 00:13 +0000, Ed W wrote:
> Hi Andy, Sorry to bug you, but I finally got round to trying the
> qos_flows feature and I think my understanding is completely back to front?
>
> What I need is to copy the packet/connection mark from the client
> request, and apply it to the upstream request.

You're correct (I think - it's been a long time!): the qos_flows feature
copies a mark value from the server side of Squid and puts that on the
connection to the requesting client.

> So for example I mark clients that have passed a captive portal test
> with some mark, I need that mark copying up to requests coming from
> squid so that I know they effectively come from a validated client

As Amos says, this is probably the wrong way to do it. If you want to
see an example of how I did it, then check out this page:

http://andybev.com/index.php/PortalShaper

I use iptables to drop (or redirect) all packets that are received from
clients that have not passed the captive portal.

> Near as I can tell the current qos_flows applies this all backwards, ie
> it assumes that the upstream has some mark on it, and copies this back
> to the client response connection?

Yes.

> How tricky would it be to offer this option in both directions? Does
> anyone else have a use for this kind of feature?

It's probably not overly difficult, but is there really a requirement
for it? I think for what you want to achieve there is a better way to do
it? Happy to discuss/advise further.

Andy