Re: [squid-users] D

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov_at_measurement-factory.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:15:30 -0600

On 04/19/2013 09:10 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:

>> * Squid must refuse configuration when same http_ports are declared with
>> different modes

> You wish your live production server to cease service completely [...]
> if you make a small configuration mistake?

Many admins do, and rightfully so: Squid cannot determine whether wrong
http_ports are a "small" mistake or a "huge" one. Or, from a different
angle, whether not serving traffic correctly is better than not serving
traffic at all.

Besides, at the time the admin runs "squid" or "service start squid",
that Squid instance is not providing any service so the "cease service"
argument above can only be applied to REconfiguration. At
reconfiguration time, the right action upon detecting a problem is
probably to do nothing (rather than ignore the problem in one area and
reconfigure the rest of Squid as if all areas are independent). Today,
Squid cannot validate configurations without applying them, but that
should be the goal IMHO.

Errors in cache.log are useful for determining the cause of startup
failure. They are not very useful for _detecting_ a problem if Squid
seems to start OK because, in part, few admins look at cache.log after
what looks like a successful start ("service squid start" may not show
the log) and, in part, because our cache.log is often too noisy for a
casual observer to see useful information.

$0.02,

Alex.