Re: [squid-users] How to use tcp_outgoing_address with cache_peer

From: Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2013 01:57:51 +1200

On 26/04/2013 10:57 p.m., Alex Domoradov wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM, Amos Jeffries <squid3_at_treenet.co.nz> wrote:
>> On 26/04/2013 8:37 p.m., Alex Domoradov wrote:
>>> First of all - thanks for your help.

>>> ok, I will update to the latest version

>>> ok. The main reason why I choose raid0 is to get necessary disk space ~400
>>> Gb.
>>
>> It does not work the way you seem to think. 2x 200GB cache_dir entries have
>> just as much space as 1x 400GB. Using two cache_dir allows Squid to balance
>> teh I/O loading on teh disks while simultaenously removing all processing
>> overheads from RAID.
> If I understood you correctly in my environment will be more
> preferable to use something like
>
> SSD1 /dev/sda
> SSD2 /dev/sdb
>
> # mount /dev/sda /var/spool/squid/ssd1
> # mount /dev/sdb /var/spool/squid/ssd2
>
> and point squid to use 2 separate disk space
> cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid/ssd1 200000 16 256
> cache_dir aufs /var/spool/squid/ssd2 200000 16 256

Yes that is the idea.

<snip>
>>> and that's a problem. I see the following packets on my external interface
>>>
>>> # tcpdump -nnpi bond1.2000 port 3128
>>> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
>>> listening on bond1.3013, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 65535
>>> bytes
>>> 13:19:43.808422 IP yyy.yyy.yyy.239.36541 > 192.168.220.2.3128: Flags
>>> [S], seq 794807972, win 14600, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS val
>>> 3376000672 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
>>> 13:19:44.807904 IP yyy.yyy.yyy.239.36541 > 192.168.220.2.3128: Flags
>>> [S], seq 794807972, win 14600, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS val
>>> 3376001672 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
>>> 13:19:46.807904 IP yyy.yyy.yyy.239.36541 > 192.168.220.2.3128: Flags
>>> [S], seq 794807972, win 14600, options [mss 1460,sackOK,TS val
>>> 3376003672 ecr 0,nop,wscale 7], length 0
>>>
>>> So as I understand connection to my parent go through table ISP2
>>> (because tcp_outgoing_address set src ip for the packets to the
>>> yyy.yyy.yyy.239) and external interface bond1.2000 when I expected
>>> that it would be established via internal interface bond0.
>>
>> The golden question then is whether you see those packets arriving on the
>> parent machine?
>> And what happens to them there.
>>
>> Amos
> Those packets doesn't rich the final destination - 192.168.220.2.
> Because according to the rules in the table ISP2 all packets with src
> yyy.yyy.yyy.239 go to default gateway of ISP, in my situation is
> yyy.yyy.yyy.254 and i think it's just dropped.

So you see the packets "exiting" machine A and never arriving on machine
"B". With only a wire between them that is unlikely.
As I said before the firewall has to be getting in the way somewhere.
There are several layers of components involved with the firewall these
days and each end of the link has its own version of the same layers of
components.

I'm afraid it is going to be up to you to track down exactly which one
is getting in the way. The best I can do is point you at a few things
which are commonly causing trouble to other Squid users with this type
of setup:
  * rules in the Squid box capturing the Squid outbound packets and
sending them back to Squid.
  * rules on the sending box preventing delivery (DROP/REJECT on outbound)
  * rules on receiving box preventing arrivals (DROP/REJECT on inbound).

You focused earlier on the routing rules as evidence that the looping
back to Squid was not happening, but it is both routing rules, and NAT
rules involved can do it. The NAT ones have the nasty property of
changing the packets which can make the NATed packet be missed by
monitoring tools (tcpdump etc). So take extra care there. These are most
often the problem as the slight mistake of omitting or adding a NIC
interface or IP range to the NAT rules can have major effects on what
they are capturing.

The DROP rules at both sides could be hidden anywhere in the firewall
complexity. So a full audit is sometimes required to find things hidden
away. Alternatively there are things like rp_filter or SELinux which are
automatic components doing the same things as a DROP rule for certain
things - often without reporting what they are dropping. If something
like that is happening it can be *very* difficult to identify. Good luck
if its one of these.

The one thing you have demonstrated is that the problem is something in
the operating system *outside* of Squid. So this is not really an
appropriate place for detailed tracking any more. The best place if you
still need further help would be the help groups for the developers of
the networking stack on your machine(s). From the tools you've mentioned
already I guess that would be netfilter.

Amos