Re: [squid-users] squidguard not redirecting

From: Helmut Hullen <Hullen_at_t-online.de>
Date: 17 May 2013 19:53:00 +0200

Hallo, csn233,

Du meintest am 18.05.13:

> SG has numerous problems which caused it not to do what it's supposed
> to, including that "emergency" mode thing. Here are some things to
> consider:

> 1) a BIG blacklist is overhyped - when I had a good look at our
> requirements, there was only a small percentage of those websites we
> actually wanted to block, the rest were either squatting websites or
> non-existent, or not relevant. Squid could blacklist (eg ACL DENY)
> those websites natively with a minimum of fuss.

May be - it does a good job even with these unnecessary entries.

> 2) SG has not been updated for 4 or 5 years, if that's your latest
> version, you are still out of date.

I can't see a big need for updating. Software really doesn't need
changes ("updates") every month or so.

> More to the point, you will not find much help now. or anyone to fix
> it even if you could prove it's a bug.

"That depends!" - I know many colleagues who use "squidguard" since
years; the program doesn't need much help.

Viele Gruesse!
Helmut